Monday, February 6, 2012

Over looking the details

So I'm sure that some how you have learned that our clothes dryer went out for a few days recently.  I was able to fix it by replacing the heating coil.  Not a super difficult fix, it just took some time to learn how to completely disassemble the thing.  This of course falling in line with my philosophy of take care of what you have so it will last.  Don't throw it out until you know it is a lost cause.  So it works and the heat goes on.


Well, we bought the washer and dryer at the same time, you know, the whole 'matched pair' thing.  So the washer decides that it wanted to join in the fun and conk out as well.  Now I have a washer that refuses to do a final spin and drain.  So, thanks to some ingenuity on my part (and quite a bit of forearm strength), I wrung the towels out myself and put them through the drying paces.  [editors note: I was shown how some of the cycles function in different manners on the dryer so that drying time would be expedited.  Thanks wife.]


Then the fun part began: Troubleshooting.  Going off of some past experience, I started with the drain pump, figuring that if it could not empty the chute, that it would not activate the spin cycle.  Wrong.  The hose was free and clear and the pump spins great.  


Being elevated makes them easier to work on, just spin it around and have at it.
So, moving on, I locate the technical data sheets with diagnostic information that is taped to the inside of the machine.  Conveniently, I discovered this existed when ripping apart the dryer.  See, matched pair has similarities.  It's a good thing when you have to maintenance both of the them.   Running the machine through the paces, I get an error code of not receiving the signal from the motor or controls to spin.  Off we go to the back of the unit to check wires and voltage and resistance (o my!)  According to my findings and the tech sheet, the motor controller needs replaced.  Ok, makes sense.


Fast forward to me at the appliance parts store buying said part.  $170 and a warning that electronics are non refundable, and I am back home ripping apart more of the machine so that I can access the controller to remove it.  This involves pulling off the belt, motor, and wiring harnesses so that I can undo the screws holding this circuitry down.


And then I saw it.  1 itty bitty 18 gauge wire severed in two.


Thanks Chuck.


Off I dashed to the store to buy some butt splices.  $.99 for 20 of them.  "Are you kidding me", I mutter to myself as I head home.  This would be great if this fixes it, but did I really have to buy that part?  Sure enough, after some splicing and putting everything back together, she works like a charm.


Today we learned that just because some diagnostic said a part was bad, make sure it is fully connected first.  The bigger picture, make sure that you look at all sides before rushing off for a fix.  Something easier and less taxing may be waiting around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment