Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Taking ownership

It is fun to watch the kids grow and develop. I'm sure any parent would agree with that, and the humorous stories that come out of that process. Currently we are watching Ian develop his sense of possessives.


Case in point, this past weekend I decided it was time to repair some of the soffit on the house by the front door due to some water damage. So in my usual fashion and manner, I got up semi early (the sun was shining, so not early for me), put on my work clothes and headed outside. Not knowing what I was totally getting into or would find out once I started, I did the demo work before heading to the hardware store, trying to prevent the usual 2+ trips. Once I had the old soffit torn out and was satisfied on what my shopping list entailed, I was preparing to leave when Ian looked out the front door. He quickly exclaimed, "Oh No, Daddy broke MY house!" Not THE house, or OUR house, but my house.


I wanted to ask if he was ready to take over payments and transfer ownership.


Needless to say, my efforts were in vain. After my initial trip to the store and purchasing what I thought would be all of the material I needed, I prepared to paint the new soffiting with the can that I had dug out of the garage. After prying it open for 10 minutes (my first clue), I discovered it was mostly water and sludge. So off I went to get a quart of paint. God bless the sophisticated paint matching capabilities (the label had worn off).


Soon enough I was back in business and putting all of the pieces back together. It was not long until Ian wandered by again and, seeing my progress, stated, "Daddy fixed my house." At least he recognizes who does the work, although I do love when he tries to give me a hand and help out. Then he says that he did the work. I'll take it.


By the way, did I mention the active wasp nest I found...

No comments:

Post a Comment